Pages

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Sisterhood of Strong Women

      
Found under public domain.photographer Beverly Joubert

It doesn’t interest me to know where you live or how much money you have.
I want to know if you can get up after the night of grief and despair
weary and bruised to the bone and do what needs to be done to feed the children.
It doesn’t interest me who you know or how you came to be here.
I want to know if you will stand in the center of the fire with me and not shrink back.

"The Invitation" by Oriah Mountain Dreamer

 
Many years ago at a time when my life was unraveling, a traveling sister, Venilla told me a story that sustained and inspired me. Today I share that story with you.

          "A very special tree is found growing around the world. This tree is not found in forests.  It is not surrounded by many other trees. This tree grows alone. Its silhouette stands strongly against the horizon. Despite a lack of surrounding close kin, this tree shows remarkable resilience and strength. Strong and independent, it survives draught, hurricanes, extremes of climate.  It provides shelter, food, shade, refuge for animals. It cleans the air and returns life sustaining oxygen.
What is the secret to the survival and strength of this tree? Its ROOTS...Under the ground out of sight, this tree has  a massive extensive connection with other trees. This strength of connection provides tremendous strength and ability to survive and THRIVE.
There is a global sisterhood of women like this tree. Strong and independent they have lived through their share of storms. Also at a root level, they are connected with other sisters around the world. If you find yourself anywhere in the world in their presence. Ask and they will share ... housing, food, child care. Whatever they have will be offered generously."

          Over the last ten years I have learned to value kindness over competence. I have learned to ask. I have learned to receive. I have been grateful for the support generously shared by my sisters.  

 Today – in a embodiment of gratitude -  pause and reflect..
How have you been supported by or able to support a sister?




No comments:

Post a Comment